Thursday, September 25, 2014

Stage 3 Grand to Grand- A Grand Beat Down

This was the hardest stage I have ever done.

Fifteen of us had to start at 10:00, two hours after everyone else so the aid stations would be manned.  All went well until CP2 and then I was falling behind on nutrition and electrolytes.  I slowed down and plodded into CP4 eventually where I drank a recovery drink & that helped a lot.  The Italian that was gunning for me pushed hard by me when I was down.  I felt much better from CP4-CP6.   The cooler temperature eventually helped and I made the dunes at dark.  It was very soft sand and slow often I had to climb on all fours!  I eventually caught the Italian about seven miles from the end and four of us (him and three of us from tent 5) finished all together about 20 minutes after midnight.

There have been lots of people dropping or missing cut off times.  My ranking is going up and I am still holding on to 1st old guy.  Three of us in our tent are in the top 10!  Thank you for the emails and thoughts.  I have one small blister on left heal but otherwise I'm doing OK. 

Rest day today, I hope I can catch up on some sleep.


UPDATE!

The results are up and I have moved up to sixth place overall and fifth male!  Places 5-8 are all within 20 minutes of each other.  In other news 24 people have dropped or been pulled. 
 
Stage 4 tomorrow has more sand and hills.  Not easy but the pack is getting much lighter.
 
My two hour power nap gave me some nice relief but I am still  hoping for some more sleep when it cools off.

No comments:

Post a Comment