Thursday, September 25, 2014

Stage 2 of Grand to Grand

Things went much better today.  27 miles.  1200 ft of climb at mile three and downhill after that for the most part.  It got hot in the afternoon as the temperature was in the 90's.  I managed my calories, pace, water and electrolytes much better than yesterday.  I even got about 6.5 hours of sleep last night which helped.  I finished about 8th or 9th

One of the top runners (from Saudi Arabia) missed a turn and went 20 minutes down the road before he realized it.  We paced him in to CP4 where he eventually dropped.  I am leading my age group but an Italian that is in second place has figured out who I am.  No doubt I will have to look over my shoulder now.  I've got only 15 minutes on him so it is very close.  Tomorrow will be very hard 53 miles, 75% sand, dunes and heat.  I may have to start in the  fast pack an hour or so after everyone else leaves. 
 
Feet are great, back is ok but my quads are hurting with lactic acid build up.  Hope they will work themselves out.  About 1/3 of the way there.
 
Lisa is having a good time.  Scenery is great but humidity is up due to the recent rains. 
 
Thanks for the emails!

No comments:

Post a Comment